And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27)

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Transfers Again


So............................................ Elder Vawdrey is going to Grand Island as Zone Leader and I'm staying here and will be working with Elder Rasmussen.  I'm pretty stoked.  Elder Rasmussen is sweet and we got along really well when we were around each other in Omaha.  He is the one that served in Mexico city for a time, went home for knee surgery, and is now here.


All the Christmas gifts were fantastic, thank you all so much.  The hand warmers were much needed since we now have snow.  The gloves are a ton better than the thin ones I had before.  The shirts rock!  Elder Vawdrey loved the book!  He's already utilized some of its examples in our lessons and district meetings.  For Christmas lunch we had beer cooked turkey, instant mashed potatoes, corn, cookies, gravy, yams, and pop.  For Christmas dinner we had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans with bacon, onion, and other stuff in it.  We didn’t get to watch any movies for Christmas.

Christmas lunch
So this week went well.  I've got the voice recorder now and it ROCKS!  I can now easily record far more than I could before in just a couple minutes.  It’s fantastic.  We've been developing our painting skills.  This past week we spent three afternoons going over to Sister A's house and painted her dining room.  I'm pretty proud of the work we did.  C’s fiancĂ©e N (raised Pentecostal) was trying to bait us into bible bashing but we just dodged around his attempts.  We're hoping his influence doesn’t prevent G from continuing in the church.  Sister A was kind enough to give us a plate of enchiladas for our work.  

On new year’s night we celebrated with a Hispanic investigator.  He invited us over last week and said specifically that we would eat 'something different' so we were a little apprehensive going over to his house.  Our fears were confirmed.  His wife presented us with a cold shrimp soup that was WAY over salted.  It was probably one of the most disgusting things I've had to eat so far.  I was able to shove it down quickly enough but Elder Vawdrey had more difficulty and was suffering along.  Thankfully that wasn’t everything we had to eat.  We also had some decent Guatemalan tamales and festive punch.  While we were there we met a young man whose father had been a bishop in Guatemala.  He knew so much about the church but spoke of it as if it was over and done with and he had never covenanted to continue with it.  We got his address and will head over soon.  

Other than those things not much else has happened since the Christmas Skype.


Love you,
E' Harker

1 comment:

  1. We sure love Elder Harkers letters! I'm anticipating some serious with drawls now that our sons aren't companions anymore. How will we get "the rest of the story" now? I'll have to inquire about the meal on New Years. ;P Brian sure loved serving with Tim. He is one amazing Elder! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete