And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27)

Monday, November 26, 2012

Living the Dream


Hey there,

Sorry this letter is late, today was nuts!  Elder Vawdrey forgot his coat in Omaha a couple weeks ago and was expecting to get it back during transfers but the APs forgot it in Lincoln.  There was no way for us to get it to Lexington so we got special permission and spent five hours in the car today driving out there to pick it up and come back.  We're emailing now when proselyting isn’t the best and we'll take an hour out of next p-day to make up for it.  We had a great time in Lincoln.  The Lincoln zone was having their zone activity and we got to tag along as they went on a tour of the Husker stadium and athletic facilities.  It was sweet!  The only downside was I got a little trunky for sports back home but that didn’t stick around too long.  Afterwards we went to some stores and I got the families present.  Then we hit up five thrift stores and I got some steals.  Another sock tie to add to my collection, the Better Homes cook book that I grew up with at home, and red long john pajamas complete with butt flap that fit great.

Thanksgiving was great.  We went to the Ward family’s house and ate with them and the Goodwins.  The Wards are great, they lost a young son in a car wreck earlier this year but they've stayed strong in the faith and have incredible testimonies and sense of the work.  I love the Goodwin family.  They're a young family that is relatively new to Lexington.  They have three kids that are awesome and love playing with us (one of them is named Grace).  They helped us out on numerous occasions with giving us food and this last week they gave both of us some ties.  The food was to die for and we ate to exploding.  Afterwards we spent time playing games and talking. Then we visited another family that night, the Hovies, and ate with them as well.  We actually had the opportunity to do some hunting with them.  Bro. Hovie found a mouse in the master bedroom and Sis. Hovie screamed and ran off.  We trapped the mouse in a corner and I scared it into the open as Bro. Hovie beat it with a broom and Elder Vawdrey attacked it with a replica Thor hammer.  That mouse never stood a chance.  I love serving in an English ward but still teaching Spanish, it’s the best of both worlds.

I woke one morning with a really sore throat so we went to Wal-Mart to get some cough drops.  Well when we rang it up it showed that the bag was only 10 cents.  So we quickly went back and grabbed nine more bags.  That’s right 10 bags, 250 cough drops, for only one dollar and tax.  I love random blessings like that.  The worker noticed, informed her boss, but then let us continue with the transaction just fine.

We've been doing some community service once a week at the Goodwill here.  It’s been great because we've been able to interact with people that would normally not answer the door to us or turn us away and become friends with them.  The first time we went we sorted and organized donated plastic bags, and the second time we set up six artificial Christmas trees in two hours.  I was so done with the scratchy branches.  We took a less active with us the second time that loved working there and wants to go next time.


The baptism went over great with G.  Elder Vawdrey did the baptism and I did the confirmation.  I can now say that I personally have done more confirmations than baptisms.  We had a great service.  C, G’s mom, asked us to sing How Great Thou Art.  Elder Vawdrey and I performed the song;  first verse normal, second in Spanish, third I sang in English Elder Vawdrey in Spanish, and fourth acapela English.  Afterwards C told us that we made her cry.  Also bishop immediately informed other members that we can sing and now we're expected to perform in church pretty soon.



Everything’s looking good for H and P’s baptism on the 30th.  The interview is tomorrow and we don’t see any complications.  I need to go so I can email a couple photos, but I love you all,

Sincerely,
E' Harker

No comments:

Post a Comment