And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27)

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Dumpster Diving

Hey,

There’s a new Spanish elder coming in tomorrow and Elder Moore and I are going to take him out on his first day.

Where do I do laundry?  There is a laundromat we go to.  If we get there before 9 the washers are only a buck.

How are the clothes lasting?  Pretty good, I've only had to make a couple repairs.  It’s a good thing I didn’t buy anything from missionary mall.  Every missionary I've known with their stuff has had all their clothes breaking and wearing down really quick.

Whats wearing the most?  Ties, with all the stains they get.

Are the shoes working out well?  Yep, they’re great.

Have I got to actually baptize anyone?  Nope

Have I taken pictures of people that we work with?  As best as I can. 

We did tons of service this week.  One of the funnest was with a woman whose family are members and we trakced into her family some time ago.  She and her husband have been attached from every front in the past several weeks and now they're moving from Omaha back to their family because they were unable to pay rent.  We walked into their apartment complex one day and asked how she was and she told us how they were going to move.  We asked if there was anything she needed and she said that she was unable to find any boxes.  So we headed out on a treasure hunt to try to find some.  I knew that some stores have dumpsters filled with them so we started looking for those.  We hit the jackpot early on at the Dollar Tree.  I jumped into the dumpster in my white shirt and tie and started throwing boxes out to Elder Moore.  We filled up the car, grabbed some packing tape and headed back.  When she opened her door we flooded her apartment with more boxes then she could possibly need.  She was genuinely overwhelmed and couldn't stop saying thank you over and over.

Last night we also went to a family we had found one day while tracting to help them move.  S comes from a very abusive and rough background and was converted when many times in her life the missionaries showed up right when she needed them most.  She has several children (two of which are baptismal age) and is dating man named C from El Salvador.  S is currently an inactive member of the English ward but speaks Spanish and wants C to be taught.  C is great.  He shows tons of potential and is very friendly to us.  Last night we helped them move to their new house and then S made us a fantastic dinner.  When she was cooking we taught C the first lesson and he was very open to what we had to say and even said the closing prayer, something that normally doesn't happen on the first visit.

M is really close to baptism.  She knows this church is true and wants to follow God, but we just need to help her get to church.  Last week she wasn’t able to come because their sink broke and started leaking black water, but she'll come soon.  M and F are also in the same situation.  M just needs to get a new job so she doesn’t work during church and F needs to have surgery.  He has a tumor and this last week we gave him a blessing, we hope he can get the treatment he needs quickly because his health is getting progressively worse.

I've been able to have a couple good runs this week.  We did exchanges and I was with Elder Vawdrey again so the next morning we went out for an hour long run.  Then yesterday the Omaha zone had a morning trail center run.  Elder Vawdrey and I went to it and made a quick exchange with our companions.  We met with a bunch of other missionaries and set out on a course they had decided on.  Elder Vawdrey and I stayed together and destroyed everyone else.  I'm glad there's someone here that can run with me, definitely a blessing!

Also, I went to Olive Garden yesterday!  It rocked!  We had district meeting and afterwards we always go out to eat.  We left with the initial plan to go to Panda Express but then we saw the Olive Garden nearby and remembered their $7 all you can eat soup, salad, and breadsticks.  It was amazing, and 4 plates of salad, 4 bowls of soup, and 8 breadsticks later I left very content.

Love you all, keep me posted

E' Harker

No comments:

Post a Comment