Hey,
The bike is working! I went to Lowe’s and go the lubricant and now it no longer squeaks. Thanks for the help mom and again thanks so much papa and gram for the generosity!!!!
So I forgot to include a story in my last email about the most disgusting service I've had to do yet. There’s a woman who lives in the apartment across from ours with her young children. Her apartment as been infested with cockroaches and bedbugs, and instead of getting rid of them and trying to kill them she just let them breed and breed and breed. One day we came back for dinner and found her and her son outside trying to move a mattress to the trash. They asked if we could help because it was too heavy for them to carry. Instead of trying to kill the bugs she had waited till it was unbearable and then wanted to through everything away. We said we could help and grabbed the mattress. I'm not exaggerating when I say this thing was covered by hundreds of bedbugs crawling all over it. Then they had us take down their sofa as well. We wanted to touch it as little as possible so we would angle it down the stairs and shove. As we moved it outside we left a slimy trail of crushed roaches and bedbugs. When we were done we sprinted up to the apartment, stripped down in the tub, and sealed our clothes and shoes in plastic bags to ensure we didn’t bring any hitchhikers. I'm happy to say that our apartment is bedbug free at the moment.
After I emailed last week Elder Moore and I went and had the best p-day I've had yet. We went to the waterfront and ate at a restaurant called Rick's Cafe Boatyard. It was AMAZING. The most expensive plate on the menu was South African lobster tails at $50, but thankfully they had items around $10. We ate salmon roulade for lunch and then walked the pedestrian bridge. Afterwards we went to the art museum for the remainder of the afternoon. They have a really good collection including a couple Monet and Edgar Degas's "little dancer aged 14". It was far more enjoyable than the zoo in my opinion, and cheaper :). Then we met with the other elders and had dinner at the Pacheco's house. That evening when we went back to work we went to a dress rehearsal of a play (Come Home to Kanesville) that’s being put on at the Kanesville tabernacle with a less active named R. He loved it, he'd never been to a play before, and got a little teary at the end.
The next day we took out the new elder, Elder Juan. He's sweet! He's from Guatemala and has lived in Kansas City for the past several years. His first language is one of the Mayan dialects spoken there (I believe there's somewhere between 28-32 different dialects in Guatemala alone), then Spanish and finally English. He's spent much of his life working to support his mom and was converted only a couple years ago. He did a great job on his first day and I think he'll become the best Spanish missionary in this mission in no time.
There’s a fantastic new video on http://www.lds.org/church/news/going-the-extra-mile?lang=eng that I love!!! David, I think you'd especially enjoy it.
We have plants in the apartment now. We wanted some green in the house so we went to Wal-Mart and bought a bonsai tree, cilantro seeds, and basil seeds. It feels so much better in there now.
Yesterday was the best Sunday I've had yet. We had C and S come with their kids. They're both incredibly humble and kind. We're planning on setting C for baptism soon as well as two of their kids. Bishop Spangler has the same number of kids and they're about the same ages so we're planning on having their family come with us to teach this coming week. We also had F come!!!!!! I was so excited that we finally helped her get to church. She was baptized not too long ago but went inactive almost immediately afterwards and hasn't been back since. She's an amazing person and is just stuck in a difficult life with her young daughter A to raise and dealing with her boyfriend J. I've been putting tons of effort into trying to reactivate her ever since I got to Omaha. We've built a relationship with her to the point that she feel she can confide in us and we finally are helping make the physical steps to better her life. After getting her to church it almost felt like I had just finished a race and wanted to rest and not run at all for several days. On top of F coming to church we've also reactivited a woman named O and her family. Her boyfiend, J, isn't a member but he's slowly but surely warming up to the church and comes with her.
Love you all, keep the mail coming,
E' Harker
The bedbug stories always give me the creeps. Yuck!!
ReplyDelete