Hey there,
Ok, so some quick business before I write about this week. I won’t have p-day on Friday next week (since there’s infield training for all missionaries leaving) so the email will be one day later than normal. Also, I got my travel plans :) I can’t wait to leave! Everyone in the district is getting antsy waiting for the day we can finally get to the real work.
Thanks mom, dad, papa, and gram for the package! The food was amazing, and Elder Mickel has a sweet tooth for fancy popcorn so he enjoyed it as well. As for your question mom about do I write in the journal and how often, yes and everyday. I don’t plan on missing a day of the entire two years I’m out.
Now for the good stuff. This will make you all envious I’m sure, but I got to listen to Elder Holland for this weeks devo! I was on the bottom level, not more than 30 yards away from him and I had a clear view the entire time. I'll just list some of the things he said:
-"I pray that you return with a life changing experience...I want you to come back with this so permanently ingrained in your soul that you will have been changed forever. If not, then what on earth can you expect of your investigators?"
-"You don’t have the right or the privilege to compromise the grand tradition of missionary work (over 200 years in this modern time) ... when you return, stand up and represent the finest tradition imaginable."
-"Don’t come home and try not to look like a missionary in 5 min., what does that say about your conversion?"
-"You are not allowed to ever go back to who you were before the mission."
-"You will be apostolic, sent to preach the message of modern revelation."
-"Preach the book of Mormon in the manner of the spirit (Moroni 6:9) it is too often disregarded when teaching intestigators, it is your strongest tool."
-"The messenger must be worthy of the message"
So besides from seeing Elder Holland and that spiritually uplifting experience, I also finished the Book of Mormon today since starting when I entered the MTC. I testify that it is true, and that Joseph Smith truly was a prophet, and that this is the one true church.
I got to exercise my seniority this week when I had the opportunity to host the new incoming missionaries. Literally, it was the funnest thing I've done since being here! I met them on the sidewalk, took their bags as they said goodbye, and then got them started in the MTC. I was able to host 2 sisters and 1 elder. The first sister was from Honduras and barely spoke any English, which allowed me to crank out a little Spanish. Man did I feel cool! I had another elder helping but he didn't understand anything being said because he's being sent to Japan.
I had a moment this week when one of the supervisors in the gym told me to take it easy. I was on the bike going for peak performance for 15 min (15 resistance, averaging over 25 mph) and I was huffing and puffing pretty hard. The worker was new and didn’t know that I did that on a regular basis so he cautioned me to not hurt myself. I just looked over and grinned at him, and laughed as I finish the workout.
Anyways, that’s about it for this week. Love you all,
Elder Harker
I am pretty sure that I would love it if every time I worked out someone would tell me to take it easy. I don't think Harker boys do that sort of thing...take it easy on a workout that is. I love that you are writing in your journal and this blog will make the greatest blog book when you are done. I am jealous that things weren't so high tech for me.
ReplyDelete