And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27)

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Technology: A Mother's Perspective

This entry brought to you by Mom:
Thanks to advances in technology, we use tablets, texting, and Twitter, Facebook, smartphones, and apps to communicate with friends and family. 

I live a text-free, Twitter-free, app-free, tablet-free, smartphone-free existence.  I own a cell phone but it doesn't have web access, I can't send photos on it, and in fact, I use it only for talking to people. 

Today I learned the value of talking.  My son left the MTC this morning to catch a flight to Nebraska where he will spend the next 22 months.  At 6:59am PST the phone rang.  I answered it, "Hello?  Hello?" and after a slight delay I heard these words:

"Is that you Mom?"

It was my oldest child's voice - something I had not heard for more than two months, tears immediately sprang to my eyes as my heart exploded with joy!  I wish I had words to convey how happy it made me to hear the strength in his voice and know he is well. 

The entire family was here to share this wonderful experience.  Everyone had a chance to talk and share and express their happiness and love to Tim.  We enjoyed over 90 minutes of conversation on a 'regular' phone.  It didn't have HD capability, there wasn't a video screen of the other person, and we didn't need opposable thumbs to get our message across - just our voices, reaching out with love to the brother/son we miss because he is serving the Lord and that means sacrifices for everyone.

Communication may be all wrapped up in technology, but talking is the gift!

2 comments: