Hey y’all,
It is now less than 20 days till I leave the MTC and I can’t wait to get in the field! To begin, Bronte thanks so much for the cupcakes! There was one that was some sort of s'more flavor and I about passed out it was so good. Also, thank you Vawdrey family for the picture, letter, and cookies. Everyone loved them!
I had the first spiritual confirmation of the mission. I was having a difficult evening and following morning so I prayed to the Lord that I would feel his love and know that he was looking out for me personally. I didn’t immediately receive an answer (no big deal, I knew the Lord works in his own due time) so the morning continued as dreary as it had been. In the afternoon class we were discussing the power of the Holy Ghost in teaching lessons. Then my teacher, Hermano Libby, wanted to do a role play. Normally when we role play he asks for volunteers and then the missionary takes on some imaginary investigator profile to act out. However, for the first time ever he didn’t call on volunteers but without hesitation asked me to be the investigator, and he wanted to teach Elder Harker directly (not a fake profile). From the moment I sat in front of the class I felt the spirit working in my heart. I didn’t have the overwhelming emotions of tears or anything of that manner, but I felt a warm, content, love working within me (like how it feels to hold a dear friend or loved one). Hermano Libby asked how I was doing in the MTC and I gave him only a brief answer, not really detailing my emotions or concerns. He then had me read in Jacob 4. I was reading when I was struck by the words in verse 10 stating, "seek...to take counsel from [the Lord's] hand. For behold, ye yourselves know that he counseleth in wisdom...over all his works." With the spirit continuing to confirm my Father's love within me and the power of those words, that God counsels all his works (including me) I knew that God was looking out for me personally and was there to support me. The lesson ended and then while the class was discussing it Hermano Libby asked how I had felt. I told him what I had asked for in my prayer this morning and that I knew he had been the means for me to receive the Lord's answer. He then related that he had been prompted earlier to speak with me specifically. I know the Lord heard my prayers and provided an answer.
I gave a talk in sacrament, completely in Spanish. I'm glad that’s over because now I don’t have to worry about being called on again. I had the opportunity to listen to Elder Wilson of the Seventy in the devotional this week. He pointed out a statistic from some research that found only 1 in 20 investigators have a positive experience reading the book of Mormon. That statistic improves however when missionaries read with the investigator and teach them how to understand and use scripture. I created a mormon.org profile as part of some requirements here.
My district is now the oldest in our zone. The prior district got shipped out earlier this week. They left us with some traditions that have been handed down. One was that we received a leather book called the H.S.I. (speak your language) book which contains pictures, names, drawings, and words from past districts dating back to the middle of 2009. Elder Dudley and I have begun to wake up early (6am) to work out more. Yesterday we ran laps around the MTC. I can't even describe how fantastic that felt to run outside again.
Well I'm about out of time, hope everyone is going fine. By the way, I love getting photos, so whoever can send me photos would just make my day (hint hint).
Love, Elder Harker
P.S. David and Emily I want weekly updates on your times and experiences in track
What a cool experience!!
ReplyDelete