And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27)

Monday, December 10, 2012

Silent Night ... Spirit's Bright


Hey there,

So with the holiday season we decided to do something new.  To build up relationships with the ward members we went caroling last night and had a blast.  People have been loving having Elder Vawdrey and I sing (we sang 'Silent Night' yesterday during sacrament meeting) so we decided to utilize that.  I spent some free time and made two large pans of the fudge brownies on which I had grown up.  Then we divided those up accordingly to plates, wrapped them, and topped them off with two ornaments made from pictures of Christ (thanks mom for sending those).  Then we spent the evening going to different homes, singing carols on their doorsteps.  We would go in and give our gift and then depending on the age of the family we would either share the story of the fourth wiseman, or do a puppet show of the nativity.  It was incredibly fun and the families loved it.  We were a little hesitant in the morning when the day started with a -7 degree wind chill, but when properly geared up with five layers of clothing we were fine.  On that note, we still have no snow! :) I'm thanking my lucky stars right now.  I like snow, but as a missionary it stinks, so I'm grateful it’s held off for so long.  Tonight we're going to be picked up by a member that lives out in Cozad, have dinner with him, and then go deliver another ton of brownies that I made this morning.

We didn’t get to spend too much time in our area this week.  We left for about three days and were down in Norton, Kansas again doing exchanges (by the way, Kansas looks just the same as Nebraska for any who are wondering).  We had a great exchange and had tons of fun.  The elders there are hysterical and it always feels like a party when we're around each other (don’t worry we still get work done).  The first day I was with Elder Evans, and then the following day I was with Elder Leavitt.  Unfortunately, Elder Leavitt and I had to walk all day long due to the fact that neither of us can drive a mission vehicle, but we still had a great time. After the exchange we went to Holdrege and taught H, P, and V.  We got H a temple recommend and are planning to take them with our ward to Omaha on a temple trip.  H will go to the temple and we'll take V and P on a tour of the trail center.

I guess I should probably rewind and explain why I can’t drive; don’t worry I didn’t get in a crash or anything like that, my privileges are only taken away for two transfers.  This is a result of that confounded Tiwi box we had put into our car in Omaha.  The box’s adhesive didn’t work so it was hanging by its wire dangling, and swinging back and forth.  With the swinging it would squawk “aggressive driving” over and over and over.  Well for the last two weeks that I was in Omaha I became designated driver and my Tiwi account immediately started counting all these fake aggressive driving reports we were getting.  We didn’t worry about it because the senior missionary in charge of vehicles knew about it and said he would disregard these violations.  However, last transfer we were on an exchange when I received a call from that senior missionary.  He was calling to inform me that I had far too many aggressive drivings and that my ability to drive was taken away for two transfers.  I reminded him about the situation with the broken Tiwi box but he said there was nothing he could do.  So now I'm the victim of that accursed, diabolical, dastardly, black box of the devil.

That’s it for this week, love you all,

E' Harker

No comments:

Post a Comment