And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27)

Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Traditions


Hey there,

Again this week we were unable to spend much time working our area as we had to go on exchanges with the elders in Broken Bow for two and a half days.  We drove up after a zone conference in Kearney on Tuesday and I spent that night with Elder Madox.  He’s on his second transfer in the field and is still very green, but his testimony and will to serve God are strong.  We went to their branch activity and had a great time.  They had a gingerbread (graham crackers actually) building contest and we totally dominated.  We teamed up with a couple of the youth and made the little old woman who lived in a shoe.  They had some nonmembers there so we were able to further their relationship and trust.  I caught Elder Madox off guard that night when I jumped out of the bathroom clothed in my red long johns :).  The following day I went with Elder Jackson and visited some people out in Ord and Arcadia.  Because of the distance between those towns and their apartment we spent the night up in Arcadia.  Their branch president has an extra house there that the missionaries will sometimes stay at and man is it full of temptation.  You know the house of horrors? Yeah this was the house of temptation.  There’s a tanning bed, 3 tvs, tons of dvds, an x-box with games, and tons of other distractions.  I'm so glad I don’t have to stay there on a regular basis, otherwise I don’t know how long I could last.  We met with an investigator who was extremely close to accepting a baptismal date.  Her husband was baptized last August and she’s been investigating for a couple months now.  Her biggest obstacle is believing that she can forgive herself.  We had a really spiritual lesson with her, and I found out two days later that she has accepted a date to be baptized at the beginning of Feb.  The next day we did studies with them and then Elder Vawdrey did his reviews.  Once those were finished we headed back to Lexington.

On returning we got another treat with the opportunity to go to our ward Christmas party.  We had tons of food and the church was filled to capacity.  The entertainment had double booked so we had to step in with a couple other individuals and fill their place.  We sang a couple Christmas songs and read a picture book to the children.  We had a fantastic time.  I mentioned awhile back that our goal was to gain back the member's trust after the fiasco with past missionaries here, and I think we've accomplished our goal.  At the party everyone was open and friendly and being themselves with us.  I haven't felt so much love from the ward members during my entire mission.  We've gotten tons of referrals recently and plenty of food.  Bishop and his wife even lent us an extra Christmas tree for the apartment.

Those were the biggest occurrences this week.  Another thing to note is that I've now officially experienced black culture.  We were over at W's house and we met his new friend.  She’s pretty crazy and insists on attending a large, black, Baptist revival church even though she won’t be able to find one for hundreds of miles.  We were at the house when another African woman walked in.  She and W's friend began going off at each other for a while in a language called Sierra Leone or 'free tongue' English.  It’s a cross between English and Nigerian and sounds crazy!  When we left they insisted that we pray in a circle holding hands, and as we offered the prayer they would periodically mutter hallelujahs.

We had a fun morning today.  At the ward party we were talking with some of the youth and they couldn’t believe that we run in the mornings.  So to prove them wrong, we woke up at 6 today and ran to the church to catch them off guard at seminary.  They couldn’t believe we actually did that, and Sis. Hovie the teacher was cracking up.  We're going to help her out actually, and teach seminary for her this Wednesday.

That about it, love y'all

E' Harker




No comments:

Post a Comment